Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Substitute



When my newest little lady was three months old, she had some tummy issues. It turned out that she was having an allergic reaction to the dairy, soy, beef and eggs in my diet. First, I eliminated dairy. I felt deprived while my family ate three meals a day loaded with the richness of cheese and cream. Then there was the elimination of soy, which is in (almost) eveRRRything! Eliminating beef tacos and meatloaf was rough - at first. Saying "adios" to eggs, now that was painful.

Now my coffee-nobody could mess with my coffee. It had taken me most of my adult life to discover exactly how I like my coffee and my eldest and my husband were gracious to learn to serve up my cup o' joe just how I liked it. Coffee was and is my "Calgon take me away" - even when the kids are all talking at once and bouncing off the walls on a rainy day, toys around my feet, hands tugging on my trousers-escape moment. 

Much to my dismay, I had to say goodbye to the half and half which was my everyday splurge of fat and creamy goodness in my coffee. I tried every.thing. Hate the powdered stuff anyway and it claims to be "non-dairy," but clearly has dairy ingredients. I tried each type of non dairy milk, soy, almond, coconut. You name it, I tried it! (except the online only expensive stuff). I found the small containers of specialty dairy free creamers too expensive for my multiple-cups-a-day habit. So I got creative and started blending different types. (At this point, our family consumed about five different varieties of milk products.) And, finally, I landed on a blend of coconut milk and vanilla almond milk. Not an exact match, but tolerable...enjoyable.

Once my baby started getting better there was no more projectile vomiting (sorry), very little spitup and a much happier tummy. And...then....my baby weight, which has always waited until exactly 9 months postpartum to melt off, left me at about 6 months.

Thankfully, my baby's allergy went away and I was able to reintroduce everything back into my diet. However, my palate had changed.  My three times a day half and half addiction habit was overpowering my tastebuds. So, back to my homemade creamer concoction I trotted.

Now that my husband, and gradually I and the children have shifted to a mostly plant based diet, I have even switched from refined sugar to honey. My palate is enjoying the goodness, I don't get the shakes an hour after my coffee and I really do enjoy my cup o' joe escape Every. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment