Monday, June 10, 2013

Chopped Thai Chicken Salad

One of the biggest differences in our new lifestyle is that it requires more time in the kitchen. More prep work. Also, more opportunity for all hands on deck in the kitchen. We're getting ready to head to the beach for some much needed R&R, so I went ahead and prepared a meal the night before. A Pinterest find, chilled Chopped Thai Chicken Salad by Pinch of Yum.

Usually I am a by-the-book, follow the rules girl, but with recipes, I have a little rebellious streak. The funny thing is that my husband loves to stretch the boundaries in the everyday, but when he cooks, he follows a recipe to the letter and often gets flustered watching me cook.

So with this yummy recipe, I was flexible.

The differences in what I made and the recipe:
I left out the chilis, sugar and papaya, and since my husband is eating a 99.99% vegan diet now, I set aside some for him before adding the chicken. I suppose a hard core vegan would leave out the fish sauce too, but I didn't and you'll be sorry if you did! I also used a whole rotisserie chicken since I'm feeding five little mouths.

I stole a bowl a bite or two after I prepared it and even before the flavors had a chance to meld, it was delish!


My six year old walked into the kitchen, saw the chopped veggies and said "Mommy, it's SO pretty!"   Yes, Real Food IS pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment