Friday, June 7, 2013

Our New Feast - Upside Down Polenta Pie


Our latest venture is the new FEAST in our home, a brand new way of eating! I didn't even consider blogging about it until week after week, day after day, friends far and near started asking "What are you feeding him?!"

I remember being in the hospital after the birth of our son and worrying about my husband's health and growing waistline. I resolved myself to not nag, but to pray, and pray I have for the past ten years. Laying awake at night, I would wait for him to breathe.  I'd watch him pant after small tasks, and hear the pantry doors open and the chip bags rustle nightly, well after I had gone to bed.

Fast forward ten years and many pounds added to my groom - I was discouraged and fearful that our time would be cut short from health issues and I was losing the battle of teaching our children to make wise eating choices.

For only reasons I can attribute to God's work in his heart and mind, we ended up watching a couple of food documentaries : Hungry For Change and Forks Over Knives and a change began. My husband was approaching his 40th birthday and overnight, really, started eating food - REAL food, not "food like products." From the end of January to the end of April he lost about 50 pounds! And as of today has lost 65 pounds without "dieting!"  The kids and I have also changed our eating habits and aren't quite as stringent as he, but we are eating more plants, very little meat and are well on our way in the process of cutting out dairy as well. We're not counting calories and fat grams, we're simply eating as close to the ground as we can and, quite frankly, we eat a lot!

As often as I am able, I will attempt to answer the "What are you feeding him?!" questions I am so often asked by sharing our recipes and details of this new adventure. I'll try to do better with the photos, but this one got gobbled up before I could snap a good one!

First up, my take on this Polenta Pie recipe by Two Peas and Their Pod and Bev Cook.

Basically, I flipped this and made a dairy free version by amping up the veggies and sauce. Gobbled up by all!

Upside Down Polenta Pie
Ingredients:

Tomato sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 large jar of tomato & basil store brand spaghetti sauce
1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
1 T dried basil
1 T teaspoon dried oregano
Dash of crushed red pepper
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Veggie Mixture:
2 med. zucchini, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
1 med. eggplant, chopped
1 med. red pepper, chopped Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper, to season vegetables


Polenta:
1 cup polenta (look for yellow grits)
1 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
2 cups water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Chop veggies and place on large cookie sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. Season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, on med-high heat, sweat your onions and garlic (5-10 minutes).
Lower heat to low-medium and add other sauce ingredients. Simmer on low until the veggies are done.

4. While the sauce simmers and veggies are roasting, bring almond milk and water to a boil. Add polenta and whisk for about 5 minutes while it thickens.

5. Place roasted veggies in a 9"x13" casserole dish. Pour tomato sauce over the veggies. Next, Place spoonfuls of the polenta on top and spread evenly as best you can.

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your hubby played acoustic guitar on my 2nd album and pointed me this direction. This is great! Always looking for healthy, yummy recipes and really appreciate your honesty about your journey. Would love a Pin It button on the recipes you blog. I keep track of all my recipes that way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Angela! I have figured out how to add the pinterest button. Pin away!

    ReplyDelete